Tuesday, August 23, 2011

At it Again????

September 11, 2011, that's the date for the full Rev 3 in Cedar Point, Ohio for another full triathlon. I can't believe I'm doing it again, but I'm really looking forward to it. After Ironman St. George, a few of my Triabetes teammates signed up, and I was convinced that it'd be another wonderful experience.

So, we are getting closer.

In the meantime, I've learned a few things about diabetes in the last few months.

1. Stacking insulin shots on top of one another makes it hard to control blood sugars. Dr. Bernstein had suggested not taking correction shots or additional shots to cover meals within the time that there is still unused insulin in your system and when I am consistent about being careful about that, it really works.

2. Your body is serious when it tells you to relax. I got a warning about 2 weeks ago, when I thought my kidneys were hurting, but now, I think it was muscle soreness, then this past weekend, after a long hard ride, starting out on a run, my kidneys (but really it was my back muscles) hurt again. Then, on Sunday, I was doubled over in pain, and having a hard time even walking. Went to the doctor, talked to people, rested, put on ice, heat, and rested some more, and now it's almost gone, but I need to listen and rest.

3. Diabetes is a thinker's disease. I saw a shirt or heard about a shirt once that said that, and I really think it is. You have to constantly to weighing and considering multiple factors.

That's it for now. I hope to get back to the regular posts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment